Saturday, January 5, 2013

THE 2012 DEMOCRATIC NATIONAL CONVENTION - A HISTORIC EVENT


As a genealogist, I usually teach people how to trace their family history but last September 2012, I made a little history of my own. I was a Delegate at the Democratic National Convention for California's 6th Congressional District.

As a Delegate, I attended caucuses and briefings in order to learn what we needed to do to get President Barack Obama re-elected. Needless to say, it went very well and our President is once again in office leading our country to economic recovery.

I was very happy and proud to be a part of this historic occasion especially since there was irony in me doing so. A little over 150 years ago, the slave owner, Henry Marshall who owned some of my ancestors was a Delegate from Louisiana to the Confederate Provisional Congress from 1861-62.  His driving force in doing so was to preserve "states rights" and protect the institution of slavery.

 I am sure that Marshall's conviction to his cause was just was strong as mine was when I attended the Democratic National Convention. However, the outcome was thankfully quite different. The Confederates lost the war, my ancestors were freed and 150 years later, their great-great-great grand-daughter became a Delegate to re-elect the nation's first African American President! God is good.

Now, I have a bit of genealogy to pass down to my descendants.

No comments:

Post a Comment